Online workshop: Upcycling bio-plastics of food & drink packaging
Plastics used in food and drink packaging applications are made from a range of polymers and are highly combined with specific additives to meet each manufacturer’s functional and design requirements. This diversity can complicate the recycling process, make it more costly, and affect the quality and value of recycled plastic. Given this, there is a need to develop technological improvements in the sense of better manufacturing and processing practices for these plastic materials to facilitate proper waste management.
20.10.2021 kl. 10.00 - 13.00
The aim of this online workshop is to build a high-level meeting point for stakeholders across Europe to showcase initiatives and solutions for the food industry packaging that cannot be recycled. The workshop will be divided into three parts:
- During the first session, the workshop will count on different short talks to frame the European bio-plastic sector.
- The second block will showcase the objectives, methodologies, impacts, and expected results of each project.
- Finally, an open discussion will be conducted regarding the importance of clustering.
The workshop is initiated by three EU-funded projects under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme, respectively: UPLIFT, upPE-T and, PRESERVE. First mentioned project is coordinated by Associate Professor Cristiano Varrone from Department of Chemsitry and Bioscience, Aalborg University. During the session, the researchers will present their work to transform food and drink packaging into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value, ensuring that micro-plastics are avoided.
- UPLIFT: Sustainable plastics for the food and drink packaging industry
- PRESERVE: High performance sustainable bio-based packaging with tailored end of life and upcycled secondary use
- upPE-T: Upcycling of PE and PET wastes to generate biodegradable bioplastics for food and drink packaging
Participation is free of charge, but registration is necessary.
We look forward to seeing you for an inspirational day!
UPLIFT, upPE-T and PRESERVE